|Title:||Seasonal Water Conservation Consultant|
|Salary Range:||$18.00 - $20.50|
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION
Truckee Meadows Water Authority (TMWA) is a not-for-profit, community-owned water utility, overseen by elected officials and citizen appointees from Reno, Sparks and Washoe County. TMWA has a highly skilled workforce who ensure the around-the-clock treatment, delivery and availability of high-quality drinking water for more than 400,000 residents of the Truckee Meadows.
We are looking to hire Seasonal Water Conservation Consultants, to join our Conservation team for the 2023 season, which will run approximately May to October, depending on weather conditions.
ABOUT THE POSITION
The primary role of the Water Conservation Consultant is to educate TMWA customers on conservation policies in order to reduce water waste as well as help customers understand bill statements and save money on water bills.
We believe that each employee makes a significant contribution to our success. That contribution should not be limited by the assigned responsibilities. Therefore, this job description is designed to outline primary duties, qualifications, and job scope, but not limit the incumbent nor TMWA to just the work identified. It is our expectation that each employee will offer his/her services wherever and whenever necessary to ensure the success of our endeavors.
- Operate a company vehicle the majority of the working day.
- Educate customers regarding TMWA water conservation policies and programs including mandatory outdoor watering schedules, watering restrictions and irrigation best practices. This may include issuing notices for failure to comply with conservation policies.
- Educate customers on ways to reduce water waste, understand bill statements and save money on water bills in order to conserve our regional water resources.
- Respond to water waste situations by interacting with customers either in person or via the telephone.
- Coordinate with homeowners, tenants, and landscape/property managers to identify water waste conditions.
- Frequent self-initiated contact with a diverse group of customers.
- Work outdoors in a variety of weather conditions.
- Follow-up with customers who have leaks and ensure repairs are made.
- Ensure conservation department vehicles are maintained and in good working condition.
- Ensure all TMWA safety procedures are followed
- Operate a variety of electronic devices including a cell phone, computer, and digital recorder.
Any combination of training and experience that would provide the required knowledge, skills, and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the minimum requirements is:
- At least one year of experience dealing with customers in person, and on the phone is preferred.
- Experience with irrigation systems is preferred.
Education & Training:
On-the-job training is provided, however the incumbent must have the following education and training:
A high school diploma or equivalent is required.
Must have working-level knowledge of the English language including reading, writing, and speaking English.
Working knowledge of digital cameras/recording devices, cell phone, and a personal computer, as well as multiple computer applications (i.e., email, databases, word processing, map viewers, etc.)
Water Conservation Consultants will be required to work flexible hours that may include starting as early as 5:00 a.m. and working as late as 8:30 p.m., including weekends and holidays. The successful candidates should be available to begin work in May and work until October. The conclusion of this temporary position may be shortened or extended based on weather and business needs.
CERTIFICATIONS, LICENSURE & SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS
A valid Nevada (or California – depending on state of residency) Driver License at time of hire and continuing thereafter and ability to maintain insurability under TMWA’s vehicle insurance policy.
Employment is contingent upon successful completion of a background investigation during hire and periodically thereafter during employment.
This position is considered a safety sensitive position and employment is contingent upon the results of drug and/or alcohol testing which includes screening for marijuana. The presence of marijuana or other screened for substances on any employment related substance test may result in a refusal to hire or termination of employment.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Microsoft Office Suite, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook
- Standard office procedures
- TMWA service area
- Safety guidelines and procedures to ensure accident-free working area
- Customer contact techniques to handle potential irate and difficult customers
- Reading and interpreting maps
- Excellent grammar and spelling
- Bilingual is a plus
- Provide excellent customer service
- Communicate successfully with customers regarding water conservation policies and procedures
- Safely operate company vehicles
- Communicate effectively on cell phones
- Follow all safety procedures
- Work in a self-directed environment
- Represent TMWA professionally when dealing with customers
- Perform basic inspections to identify water waste
- Be punctual regarding work hours
- Be mentally and physically alert during working hours
TMWA is an equal opportunity employer. It is TMWA’s policy to provide equal employment opportunity to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race (including traits associated with race, such as hair texture and protective hairstyles), color, gender, religion, age, national origin, social or ethnic origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, pregnancy, disability, military and/or veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law. TMWA’s commitment to equal opportunity includes all terms, conditions, and privileges of employment, including but not limited to recruiting, hiring, job placement, training, compensation, benefits, discipline, advancement, and termination.
All decisions affecting any terms and conditions of employment, including recruitment, hiring, assignment, training, compensation, promotion, salary, disciplinary action, and an employee’s caregiving responsibilities, will be made without regard to race (including traits associated with race, such as hair texture and protective hairstyles), color, gender, religion, age, national origin, social or ethnic origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, pregnancy, disability, military and/or veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
TMWA complies with federal and state disability laws and makes reasonable accommodations for applicants and employees with disabilities. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and/or to receive other benefits and privileges of employment, please contact Human Resources at email@example.com or 775-834-8294.
TMWA is committed to providing a safe work environment and to fostering the health and well-being of our employees. That commitment is jeopardized when any of our employees illegally use drugs at home or at work, comes to work under the influence, possesses, distributes, or sells drugs in the workplace, or abuses alcohol on the job. As part of our commitment to safeguard the well-being of our employees and to provide a safe environment for everyone, TMWA has established a drug-free workplace policy.