|Salary Range:||$34.54 - $42.31 (DOE)|
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION
Truckee Meadows Water Authority (TMWA) is a not-for-profit, community-owned water utility, overseen by elected officials and citizen appointees from Reno, Sparks and Washoe County. TMWA has a highly skilled workforce who ensure the around-the-clock treatment, delivery and availability of high-quality drinking water for more than 400,000 residents of the Truckee Meadows.
We are looking to hire a Compliance Specialist, to join our Water Quality Department.
ABOUT THE POSITION
The Compliance Specialist provides highly responsible administrative, analytical, technical and programmatic support in helping ensure TMWA’s adherence to all Federal, State and local requirements in environmental permitting. The incumbent will be expected to work independently and with a team to perform complex tasks requiring the application of specific program knowledge, including but not limited to LIMS, WIMS, Enquesta, WaterWhere, PI Vision, and Cityworks. The incumbent will be responsible for maintaining and improving existing Permitting databases. The incumbent manages operational permits, such as Air Quality, Fire Marshal, National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System, Permits to Operate, Solid Waste, Boiler, NV Department of Transportation, City of Reno Environmental Control and Hazardous Waste. Works closely with the water quality laboratory team. Performs Associate level Microbiology and Chemistry tasks, including sampling and various other water quality analyses. The incumbent will play a critical role in ensuring the EPA Lead and Copper Rule revision is implemented and maintained. Perform confidential administrative duties that contribute to department and organizational efforts.
We believe that each employee makes a significant contribution to our success. That contribution should not be limited by the assigned responsibilities. Therefore, this job description is designed to outline primary duties, qualifications, and job scope, but not limit the incumbent nor TMWA to just the work identified. It is our expectation that each employee will offer his/her services wherever and whenever necessary to ensure the success of our endeavors.
- Ensures compliance with applicable federal, state and local statutes, regulations and ordinances pertinent to this position.
- Maintains and updates specialized and custom forms, databases, logs, files, records and reports to support technical work processes in operations & maintenance department.
- Creates and maintains spreadsheets requiring data interpretation and manipulation.
- Coordinates and compiles data for record keeping and reporting purposes.
- Reports for all TMWA environmental permits as required.
- Works with other professionals within TMWA, such as database administrators, GIS staff, Distribution Maintenance staff, etc. in validating the accuracy and/or quality of data.
- Works regularly and professionally with outside regulatory agencies associated with permitting compliance.
- Manages the coordination, of and oversees assigned projects, and site inspections with regulatory auditors.
- Participates in the development and implementation of program goals, objectives, policies, procedures, and priorities.
- Performs regular site visits to permitted areas throughout TMWA to manage permit requirements and reporting.
- Remains onsite as necessary throughout TMWA’s NDEP Working in the Waterway projects requiring Water Quality data collection and permit-related project management.
- Conducts all water quality sampling required for various permits.
- Keeps supervisor informed of regulatory/compliance issues.
- Provides assistance in resolving environmental and administration problems, identifies problem areas and issues, conducts research to find alternative solutions, makes recommendations and assists in implementation of recommendations.
- Prepares compliance reports for submission to multiple regulatory agencies.
- Participates in and represents management in meetings, prepares and presents reports and other correspondence as appropriate and necessary; relieves management staff of administrate work.
- Participates with Water Quality in tank sampling.
- Completes all IDC and CDC for all water quality methods performed as required by NDEP Lab Certification.
- Performs microbiology and chemistry analyses as needed in a high quality and ethical manner.
- Performs other duties as required or requested by supervisor.
- Always handles water quality data with integrity.
- Handle customer, regulatory agency and vendor inquires in a professional manner with timely professional responses.
- Drive company vehicle using accepted safety practices.
Any combination of training and experience that would provide the required knowledge, skills, and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the minimum requirements is:
Experience: At least one (1) year of demonstrated environmental lab or lab support and/or administrative support is preferred. Proven customer focus and strong communication skills. Experience in information systems/software applications.
Education & Training: Bachelor’s degree in science or closely related field preferred . Other combinations of education and experience may be considered.
Must have working-level knowledge of the English language including reading, writing, and speaking English.
CERTIFICATIONS, LICENSURE & SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS
A valid Nevada (or California – depending on state of residency) Driver License at time of hire and continuing thereafter and ability to maintain insurability under TMWA’s vehicle insurance policy.
Employment is contingent upon successful completion of a background investigation during hire and periodically thereafter during employment.
This position is considered a safety sensitive position and employment is contingent upon the results of drug and/or alcohol testing which includes screening for marijuana. The presence of marijuana or other screened for substances on any employment related substance test may result in a refusal to hire or termination of employment.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Extensive knowledge of database systems related to automated records systems and geographic information systems
- Modern office management practices, principles, methods and equipment
- Principles of business letter writing
- Records management principles and practices
- Correct English usage including spelling, grammar, punctuation and vocabulary
- Strong analytical, organizational and planning/project management
- Be self-motivated and able to work independently or in a team environment
- Ability to effectively participate in and communicate the progress of multiple projects
- Troubleshoot software, operating systems and applications
- Identify complex problems and review related information to develop and evaluation options and implement solutions
- Computer literacy in Microsoft Office Suite, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook
- Utilize information systems and software programs in the assigned area
- Type at a speed necessary for successful job performance
- Operate modern office equipment including computer equipment
- Apply appropriate policies and procedures to work responsibilities
- Use independent judgment and personal initiative in setting priorities and getting work done timely and accurately
- Maintain confidential data and information
- Respond to requests and inquiries from employees, governmental entities and outside agencies
- Independently prepare correspondence and memoranda
- Exercise good judgment, flexibility, creativity, and sensitivity in response to changing work situations and needs
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing
- Establish, maintain, and foster positive and productive working relationships.
- Take the lead in getting the job done professionally and accept responsibility for actions and results
- Adapt to rapidly changing operations environment
- Work for multiple management personnel
- Be punctual regarding work hours established by TMWA
- Be mentally and physically alert during working hours
TMWA is an equal opportunity employer. It is TMWA’s policy to provide equal employment opportunity to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race (including traits associated with race, such as hair texture and protective hairstyles), color, gender, religion, age, national origin, social or ethnic origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, pregnancy, disability, military and/or veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law. TMWA’s commitment to equal opportunity includes all terms, conditions, and privileges of employment, including but not limited to recruiting, hiring, job placement, training, compensation, benefits, discipline, advancement, and termination.
All decisions affecting any terms and conditions of employment, including recruitment, hiring, assignment, training, compensation, promotion, salary, disciplinary action, and an employee’s caregiving responsibilities, will be made without regard to race (including traits associated with race, such as hair texture and protective hairstyles), color, gender, religion, age, national origin, social or ethnic origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, pregnancy, disability, military and/or veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
TMWA complies with federal and state disability laws and makes reasonable accommodations for applicants and employees with disabilities. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and/or to receive other benefits and privileges of employment, please contact Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org or 775-834-8294.
TMWA is committed to providing a safe work environment and to fostering the health and well-being of our employees. That commitment is jeopardized when any of our employees illegally use drugs at home or at work, comes to work under the influence, possesses, distributes, or sells drugs in the workplace, or abuses alcohol on the job. As part of our commitment to safeguard the well-being of our employees and to provide a safe environment for everyone, TMWA has established a drug-free workplace policy.