|Title:||Design Engineer (Series)|
|Salary Range:||$86,044 - $130,130 DOE|
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION
Truckee Meadows Water Authority (TMWA) is a not-for-profit, community-owned water utility, overseen by elected officials and citizen appointees from Reno, Sparks and Washoe County. TMWA has a highly skilled workforce who ensure the around-the-clock treatment, delivery and availability of high-quality drinking water for more than 400,000 residents of the Truckee Meadows.
We are looking to hire an Engineer to join our Engineering department at either the Engineer, Senior Engineer or Principal Engineer Level.
ABOUT THE POSITION
The Design Engineer performs professional engineering work associated with the design and construction of water system facilities.
The Senior Design Engineer differs from Design Engineer in that incumbents at the Senior level perform more complex engineering design work. Incumbents are recognized as having the experience, certifications and responsibility for making final technical decisions and have influence on the overall outcome of a project or task. Senior Engineers perform under general supervision and guidance.
The Principal Design Engineer differs from Senior Design Engineer in that incumbents at the Principal level perform significantly more complex engineering design work. Incumbents are recognized in the work group as having the highest authority in a group. Principal level Engineers oversee implementation of entire programs and procedures and perform under minimal supervision and guidance.
Progression from one position title, level or designation is not automatic nor guaranteed and is based on business need.
- Using independent judgment and initiative perform professional engineering work to manage and coordinate construction of water system facilities performed by outside contractors.
- Furnish engineering services to TMWA in accordance with current standard of care for professional engineers and in accordance with applicable laws and regulations.
- Provide project management for complex engineering projects including developing project scope, procuring and managing multiple design consultants and supervising engineering design work performed by others.
- Manage project schedules and budgets. Insure improvements are in-service by the required date and that expenditures are within the authorized budget.
- Prepare design drawings for water system facilities and perform complex engineering calculations in support of water system facility designs.
- Write technical specifications; prepare cost estimates; prepare clear and concise technical reports.
- In conjunction with TMWA Purchasing Coordinator, develop and prepare bid documents and assist in the bidding and contract award process. Participate in pre-construction meetings.
- Receive, review, approve and process Contractor shop drawings and/or material and equipment submittals.
- Organize and conduct project meetings with developers, engineers, contractors and other TMWA personnel.
- Administer the construction contract including negotiation of contract provisions, agreements, change orders and resolution of claims.
- Make presentations and represent TMWA before regulatory and permitting agencies and the general public.
- Provide review and approval of applicant facility designs prepared by outside engineering consultants.
- Plan, organize, direct and manage construction of projects; assist with start up procedures; turn over facilities to Operations and perform project closeout duties.
- Evaluate schedules and recommends pre-purchasing of long lead time equipment when indicated. Prepares specifications for equipment pre-purchase. Coordinates equipment requirements with project design drawings, reviews submittals, and approves vendor pay requests.
- Make presentations and represent TMWA before regulatory and permitting agencies and the public.
- Provide engineering support to other TMWA departments to identify and resolve operational and maintenance issues.
- Organize and conduct project meetings with developers, engineers, contractors, effected agencies and other TMWA personnel.
- Perform related duties and responsibilities as required or requested.
Four to twelve years (depending on level of engineer work performed) of increasingly responsible experience involving professional engineering work in the design of water system facilities; operation of water distribution systems; modeling and analysis of water distribution systems; construction management of water projects; or a closely related field.
Other combinations of education/experience may be considered.
Education & Training
Graduation from an accredited four year college with a Bachelor’s Degree in Civil or Mechanical Engineering or a closely related field is required.
Must have working-level knowledge of the English language, including reading, writing and speaking English.
Conditions of Continued Employment
A Civil or Mechanical Professional Engineering license is required. Must obtain State of Nevada Civil or Mechanical Professional Engineering license within six months of employment.
Certification as a State of Nevada Water Distribution and or Treatment Operator at Grade 1, 2, or 3 is desired based on level of engineering work performed.
A valid driver’s license and the ability to meet TMWA Dept. of Motor Vehicle report criteria.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Civil engineering and hydraulics including pumping equipment.
- Process control principles, methods and equipment applications.
- Principles and practices of project management and construction management.
- Cost estimating and engineering economics methods and techniques.
- The operation of water supply and distribution systems.
- General construction methods, techniques, materials and permit requirements.
- Water distribution system construction methods, techniques and materials.
- Principles of civil/mechanical drafting, GIS Mapping and computer aided design.
- Modern office procedures, methods, & equipment including computers, printers, plotters, copiers, etc.
- Pertinent federal, state and local laws, codes and regulations.
- Principals of contracts and contract administration.
- Pertinent company, industry and professional standards.
- Prepare professional engineering design drawings in AutoCAD.
- Perform project management and contract administration duties on routine and complex engineering projects, including the organizing and directing of engineering consultants.
- Perform complex hydraulic and structural engineering design calculations and check/supervise calculations performed by others.
- Prepare technical reports, budget projections, contract documents and technical specifications.
- Effectively manage time and handle multiple simultaneous projects and project tasks.
- Professionally represent TMWA in meetings with outside agencies and make presentations as required.
- Operate a variety of computer equipment and software relative to the assigned area of responsibility.
- Respond to requests and inquiries from developers, engineers, contractors & the general public.
- Establish & maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
- Be punctual regarding work hours established by TMWA.
Be mentally and physically alert during working hoursTMWA is an equal employment opportunity employer who develops and maintains a work environment that values the dignity of each individual, utilizes human resources to their fullest potential and ensures a high quality workforce which reflects the diversity of the community. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or national origin.
All decisions affecting any terms and conditions of employment, including recruitment, hiring, assignment, training, compensation, promotion, salary, disciplinary action and an employee’s caregiving responsibilities, will be made without regard to race, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, religion, age, disability, political affiliation, marital status, membership in an employee association, or any other protected status or category.