|Title:||Seasonal Water Conservation Consultant|
|Salary Range:||$16.00 - $18.00|
Truckee Meadows Water Authority (TMWA) is a not-for-profit, community-owned water utility, overseen by elected officials and citizen appointees from Reno, Sparks and Washoe County. TMWA has a highly-skilled workforce who ensures around-the-clock treatment, delivery and availability of high-quality drinking water for more than 400,000 residents of the Truckee Meadows.
We are looking for seasonal Water Conservation Consultants to join our conservation team for the 2019 season, which will run from approximately April to October, depending on weather conditions.
About the Position
The primary role of the Water Conservation Consultant is to educate TMWA customers on conservation policies in order to reduce water waste as well as help customers understand bill statements and save money on water bills. Full-time (40 hours per week) and part time (20-30 hours per week) positions are available.
EXAMPLE OF DUTIES
- Operate a company vehicle the majority of the working day.
- Educate customers regarding TMWA water conservation policies and programs including mandatory outdoor watering schedules, watering restrictions and irrigation best practices. This may include issuing notices for failure to comply with conservation policies.
- Educate customers on ways to reduce water waste, understand bill statements and save money on water bills in order to conserve our regional water resources.
- Respond to water waste situations by interacting with customers either in person or via the telephone.
- Coordinate with homeowners, tenants, and landscape/property managers to identify water waste conditions.
- Frequent self-initiated contact with a diverse group of customers.
- Work outdoors in a variety of weather conditions.
- Follow-up with customers who have leaks and ensure repairs are made.
- Ensure conservation department vehicles are maintained and in good working condition.
- Ensure all TMWA safety procedures are followed
- Operate a variety of electronic devices including a cell phone, computer, and digital recorder.
- At least one year of experience dealing with customers in person, and on the phone, is preferred.
- Experience with irrigation systems is preferred.
On-the-job training is provided however the incumbent must have the following education and training.
- A high school diploma or equivalent is required.
- Must have working-level knowledge of the English language, including reading, writing, and speaking English.
- Working knowledge of digital cameras/recording devices, cell phone, and a personal computer, as well as, multiple computer applications (i.e., email, databases, word processing, map viewers, etc.).
Conditions of Continued Employment
- A valid driver’s license and the ability to meet TMWA Department of Motor Vehicle report criteria.
- Water Conservation Consultants will be required to work flexible hours that may include starting as early as 5:00 a.m. and working as late as 8:30 p.m., including weekends and holidays. The successful candidates should be available to begin work April 22 and work until October. The conclusion of this temporary position may be shortened or extended based on weather and business needs.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Microsoft Office Suite, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook
- Standard office procedures
- TMWA service area
- Safety guidelines and procedures to ensure accident-free working area
- Customer contact techniques to handle potential irate and difficult customers
- Reading and interpreting maps
- Excellent grammar and spelling
- Bilingual is a plus
- Provide excellent customer service
- Communicate successfully with customers regarding water conservation policies and procedures
- Safely operate company vehicles
- Communicate effectively on cell phones
- Follow all safety procedures
- Work in a self-directed environment
- Represent TMWA professionally when dealing with customers
- Perform basic inspections to identify water waste
- Be punctual regarding work hours
- Be mentally and physically alert during working hours
TMWA is an equal employment opportunity employer who develops and maintains a work environment that values the dignity of each individual, utilizes human resources to their fullest potential and ensures a high quality workforce which reflects the diversity of the community. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or national origin.
All decisions affecting any terms and conditions of employment, including recruitment, hiring, assignment, training, compensation, promotion, salary, disciplinary action and an employee’s caregiving responsibilities, will be made without regard to race, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, religion, age, disability, political affiliation, marital status, membership in an employee association, or any other protected status or category.