|Salary Range:||$89,098 - $134,750|
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION
Truckee Meadows Water Authority (TMWA) is a not-for-profit, community-owned water utility, overseen by elected officials and citizen appointees from Reno, Sparks and Washoe County. TMWA has a highly skilled workforce who ensure the around-the-clock treatment, delivery and availability of high-quality drinking water for more than 400,000 residents of the Truckee Meadows.
We are looking to hire a Network Analyst, to join our IT Department.
ABOUT THE POSITION
The Network Analyst designs, builds, implements and maintains a reliable efficient, and secure computer, data, and communications network. This includes planning, developing, Installing, configuring, maintaining supporting, and optimizing all local and wide area network connections, corporate services, associated software, and communication links. The incumbent will also trouble shoot network performance issues as well as analyze network traffic and provide capacity planning solutions.
The Staff Network Analyst supports new and existing network infrastructure. Incumbents are expected to work on network-related tasks and respond to network issues that may arise. Associate Network Analysts serve as the super user for the network infrastructure and answers network related questions.
The Senior Network Analyst differs from Staff level in that incumbents at the Senior level perform more complex network-related work. Incumbents are recognized as having the experience, certifications and responsibility for making final technical decisions and have influence on the overall outcome of a project or task. This position may also be designated as a lead on IT projects. Senior Network Analyst perform under general supervision and guidance.
The Principal Network Analyst differs from Senior Network Analyst in that incumbents at the Principal level perform significantly more complex network-related work. Incumbents are recognized in the work group as having the highest authority in a group. Principal level Network Analysts serve as a mentor for other members of the work group. Incumbents will create and manage projects including the implementation of entire programs and procedures. The Principal Network Analyst is expected to perform under minimal supervision and guidance.
Progression from one position title, level or designation is not automatic nor guaranteed and is based on business need.
We believe that each employee makes a significant contribution to our success. That contribution should not be limited by the assigned responsibilities. Therefore, this job description is designed to outline primary duties, qualifications, and job scope, but not limit the incumbent nor TMWA to just the work identified. It is our expectation that each employee will offer his/her services wherever and whenever necessary to ensure the success of our endeavors.
- Supports Microsoft and Cisco networks, including Microsoft and Cisco operating systems.
- Analyzes workflow, access, and security requirements and confers with users to establish network specifications.
- Configures and Maintains firewall and intrusion detection systems.
- Monitors and analyzes systems and troubleshoots problems as discovered to improve overall network performance.
- Secures enterprise networks by developing access, monitoring, control, and evaluation protocols, including comprehensive documentation.
- Determines the utility's strategic (long-term) and operational (daily) networking needs and hardware acquisitions to accomplish the utility's business objectives.
- Plans and implements any improvements, modifications, or replacements of network infrastructure components.
- Analyzes the telecommunications needs of the utility. Identifies telecommunications issues and appropriate courses of action. Researches and recommends the implementation of new telecommunications technologies.
- Develops and writes procedures for installation, use, and troubleshooting of communication hardware and software.
- Conducts research on network products, services, protocols, and standards in support of network procurement and development efforts.
- Monitors system capacity to determine its effect on performance and recommends enhancements to meet new or changing network demands.
- Identifies and remedies network performance bottlenecks.
- Installs and configures all network hardware and equipment, including routers, switches, firewalls, UPSs, etc.
- Inspect, maintain, and where necessary replace network cabling, voice/data jacks, and other network-related equipment.
- Maintains the integrity of the enterprise and cloud network through server deployment and the establishment of security and regulatory compliance based on established policies and procedures.
- Engages in regular network troubleshooting activities, resolves connectivity issues, and mitigates operational risks.
- Documents network problems and resolutions for future reference.
- Works with other IT staff in the design, testing, and evaluation of systems.
- Keeps current with the latest skills, procedures, systems, and security by attending seminars and conferences, reading professional publications, and participating in professional organizations.
- Assists others on the IT team to successfully manage all aspects of the company’s IT infrastructure.
- Prioritizes work assignments in accordance with departmental goals and timelines.
- Participates in the IT department off hours support rotation.
Any combination of training and experience that would provide the required knowledge, skills, and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the minimum requirements is:
- Three to ten years of networking experience (based on the level of analyst work performed) in the information technology field. Requires extensive expertise in information security. Requires extensive expertise in computer operating systems and data center operations.
- Other combinations of education or experience may be considered.
Education & Training:
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Technology or related field is required.
Must have working-level knowledge of the English language including reading, writing, and speaking English.
CERTIFICATIONS, LICENSURE & SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS
Cisco Systems CCNA or higher is required.
A valid Nevada (or California – depending on state of residency) Driver License at time of hire and continuing thereafter and ability to maintain insurability under TMWA’s vehicle insurance policy.
Employment is contingent upon successful completion of a background investigation during hire and periodically thereafter during employment.
This position is considered a safety sensitive position and employment is contingent upon the results of drug and/or alcohol testing which includes screening for marijuana. The presence of marijuana or other screened for substances on any employment related substance test may result in a refusal to hire or termination of employment.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Extensive hands-on technical knowledge of network systems, protocols, and standards such as Ethernet, LAN, WAN, TCP/IP, T1, 802.11x, etc.
- Voice communications network technology including VoIP.
- Switched and routed environments.
- OSPF and static routing.
- Working technical knowledge of Cisco network hardware and VoIP system.
- Demonstrable knowledge of best practices concerning management, control, and monitoring of server infrastructure.
- Check Point firewalls, intrusion detection systems, and other network security measures.
- Computer-based applications including, network monitoring systems, intrusion detection systems.
- Wireless communication system design and operation.
- Network monitoring practices and procedures including familiarity with SNMP.
- Hardware, software, and network connection troubleshooting experience.
- Utilize various diagnostic software programs to determine the health of network systems.
- Work independently with minimal supervision and assistance.
- Work within a fast-paced environment and be adaptable to change.
- Identify complex problems and review related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
- Respond to requests and inquiries from the general public.
- Design, develop, and implement policies, procedures, and technology to secure the utility’s perimeter, intranet, and critical utility data.
- Establish and maintain effective work relationships with those contacted in the performance of required duties.
- Organize, prioritize and handle multiple tasks and meet deadlines
- Strong presentation, facilitation, and written/verbal communication skills.
- Be punctual regarding work hours established by TMWA
- Be mentally and physically alert during working hours
TMWA is an equal opportunity employer. It is TMWA’s policy to provide equal employment opportunity to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race (including traits associated with race, such as hair texture and protective hairstyles), color, gender, religion, age, national origin, social or ethnic origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, pregnancy, disability, military and/or veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law. TMWA’s commitment to equal opportunity includes all terms, conditions, and privileges of employment, including but not limited to recruiting, hiring, job placement, training, compensation, benefits, discipline, advancement, and termination.
All decisions affecting any terms and conditions of employment, including recruitment, hiring, assignment, training, compensation, promotion, salary, disciplinary action, and an employee’s caregiving responsibilities, will be made without regard to race (including traits associated with race, such as hair texture and protective hairstyles), color, gender, religion, age, national origin, social or ethnic origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, pregnancy, disability, military and/or veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
TMWA complies with federal and state disability laws and makes reasonable accommodations for applicants and employees with disabilities. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and/or to receive other benefits and privileges of employment, please contact Human Resources at email@example.com or 775-834-8294.
TMWA is committed to providing a safe work environment and to fostering the health and well-being of our employees. That commitment is jeopardized when any of our employees illegally use drugs at home or at work, comes to work under the influence, possesses, distributes, or sells drugs in the workplace, or abuses alcohol on the job. As part of our commitment to safeguard the well-being of our employees and to provide a safe environment for everyone, TMWA has established a drug-free workplace policy.