|Salary Range:||$79,853 - $120,768 Annualized DOE|
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION
Truckee Meadows Water Authority (TMWA) is a not-for-profit, community-owned water utility, overseen by elected officials and citizen appointees from Reno, Sparks and Washoe County. TMWA has a highly skilled workforce who ensure the around-the-clock treatment, delivery and availability of high-quality drinking water for more than 385,000 residents of the Truckee Meadows.
We are looking to hire an Engineer to join our Engineering department at either the Engineer, Senior Engineer Level.
ABOUT THE POSITION
The Planning Engineer performs professional engineering work associated with the planning and operation of water treatment, supply and distribution system facilities.
The Senior Planning Engineer differs from Planning Engineer in that incumbents at the Senior level perform more complex engineering planning work. Incumbents are recognized as having the experience, certifications and responsibility for making final technical decisions and have influence on the overall outcome of a project or task. Senior Engineers perform under general supervision and guidance.
The Principal Planning Engineer differs from Senior Planning Engineer in that incumbents at the Principal level perform significantly more complex engineering planning work. Incumbents are recognized in the work group as having the highest authority in a group and are often recognized as the Authority's expert in one or more technical areas. Principal level Engineers oversee implementation of entire programs and procedures and perform under minimal supervision and guidance.
Progression from one position title, level or designation is not automatic nor guaranteed and is based on business need.
- Using independent judgment and initiative perform complex technical planning studies by developing and utilizing water system computer models to evaluation the capacity of the water distribution system; recommend new supply and distribution facilities; determine facility requirements for new development; analyze the impact of new growth on the existing system; analyze/optimize energy use; and determine specific equipment requirements, capacities and operating criteria.
- Furnish engineering services to TMWA in accordance with current standard of care for professional engineers and in accordance with applicable laws and regulations.
- Assist in development of capital improvement plans; evaluate, recommend, justify and prioritize improvements; prepare accurate budget level project cost estimates.
- Perform a wide range of graphic system duties involving the preparation and plotting of GIS and/or CAD designs and drawings to produce maps, charts, drawings, and other geographic information for reports, presentations and permit applications.
- Update and maintain facility data sheets and on-line information for pump stations, well pumping facilities, storage tanks and pressure regulating stations; maintain and update water use data.
- Integrate metered use data and SCADA data to calibrate water system computer models.
- Coordinate new business planning work between Project Coordinators and Engineering Department.
- Participate in project meetings with developers engineers, contractors and other TMWA personnel.
- Provide technical support to Operations personnel and establish system operating criteria and facility requirements.
- Provide support to New Business personnel; prepare and submit facility plans and design reports; review and comment on applicant designs and ensure compliance with TMWA industry standards.
- Perform related duties and responsibilities as required or requested.
Four to twelve years (depending on level of engineer work performed) of increasingly responsible experience involving professional engineering work in the design of water system facilities; operation of water distribution systems; modeling and analysis of water distribution systems; construction management of water projects; or a closely related field.
Other combinations of education/experience may be considered.
Education & Training
Graduation from an accredited four year college with a Bachelor’s Degree in Civil or Mechanical Engineering or a closely related field is required.
Must have working-level knowledge of the English language, including reading, writing and speaking English.
Conditions of Continued Employment
A Civil or Mechanical Professional Engineering license is required. Must obtain State of Nevada Civil or Mechanical Professional Engineering license within six months of employment.
Certification as a State of Nevada Water Distribution and or Treatment Operator at Grade 1, 2, or 3 is desired based on level of engineering work performed.
A valid driver’s license and the ability to meet TMWA Dept. of Motor Vehicle report criteria.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Civil engineering and hydraulics including booster and source pumping equipment.
- The development, use and calibration of water system computer models and modeling software.
- Principles of engineering economics methods and techniques.
- Principles of GIS mapping and computer aided design.
- The operation of water treatment, supply and distribution systems including storage facilities.
- Water distribution system construction methods, techniques and materials.
- Modern office procedures, methods, & equipment including computers, printers, plotters, copiers, etc.
- Pertinent federal, state and local laws, codes and regulations.
- Principals of contracts and contract administration.
- Pertinent company, industry and professional standards.
- Effectively manage time and multiple assignments to meet required deadlines.
- Analyze and solve complex hydraulic problems.
- Utilize Excel and other proprietary software to develop and perform complex hydraulic calculations in support of water system facility designs or facility plans.
- Utilize AutoCAD and InfoWater to develop, utilize and maintain water system computer models.
- Interpret design drawings; write contract documents and technical specifications.
- Professionally represent TMWA in meetings with outside agencies and make presentations as required.
- Operate a variety of computer equipment and software relative to the assigned area of responsibility.
- Respond to requests and inquiries from developers, engineers, contractors & the general public.
- Provide effective supervision, direction and leadership for lower level staff.
- Establish & maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
- Work effectively in a team environment.
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
- Be punctual regarding work hours established by TMWA.
- Be mentally and physically alert during working hours.
TMWA is an equal employment opportunity employer who develops and maintains a work environment that values the dignity of each individual, utilizes human resources to their fullest potential and ensures a high quality workforce which reflects the diversity of the community. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or national origin.
All decisions affecting any terms and conditions of employment, including recruitment, hiring, assignment, training, compensation, promotion, salary, disciplinary action and an employee’s caregiving responsibilities, will be made without regard to race, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, religion, age, disability, political affiliation, marital status, membership in an employee association, or any other protected status or category.