|Title:||Apprentice Water Plant Operator|
|Salary Range:||$34.50 - $42.07|
Truckee Meadows Water Authority (TMWA) is a not-for-profit, community-owned water utility, overseen by elected officials and citizen appointees from Reno, Sparks and Washoe County. TMWA has a highly skilled workforce who ensure the around-the-clock treatment, delivery and availability of high-quality drinking water for more than 385,000 residents of the Truckee Meadows.
We are looking to hire an Apprentice Water Plant Operator to join our operations department.
- During the Apprenticeship Program: The Apprentice Water Plant Operator assists the Foreman, Water Plant Operators, or other experienced and qualified personnel as required while training to acquire the experience and develop the skills necessary to advance to a journey level Water Plant Operator. In order to gain experience for advancement, the apprentice may be required to work alone or under direct supervision on jobs for which training or instruction has been provided. The apprentice’s education and general qualifications must be such that he/she is considered capable of attaining journey status.
- After Completing the Apprenticeship Program: Water Plant Operators, qualified by experience, training and knowledge are responsible for the production of safe and clean drinking water in compliance with all Federal, State, and Local regulations and work under general supervision of the Working Foreman. Duties include: operating pumps and valves; coordinating the rate of flow with demand, storage and other operating needs; operating the overall distribution system through the company’s SCADA system; performing such record keeping functions as log of plant operations, test results, maintenance work performed, unusual operating conditions and special reports as required; taking samples of water at regular intervals and conducting control tests to ensure the efficient production of safe water for public consumption; performing tests and adjusting chemical feed equipment to ensure optimal performance of treatment plant process; making limited repairs and adjustments based on provided training; receiving supplies delivered during shift and ensuring that they are properly stored.
- Please be advised, entrance into this TMWA apprenticeship program requires completion of WorkKeys exams in Applied Math at a minimum score of 6, Applied Technology at a level 5 or higher, Graphic Literacy (formally Locating Information)at a level 5 or higher and Workplace Documents (formerly Reading for Information) at a level 5 or higher. Preference will be given to candidates who have successfully completed the above WorkKeys exams at the time of application submittal. Once an apprenticeship has been offered, the successful candidate has one opportunity to complete the WorkKeys exams at the required levels and must do so prior to commencing work.
These exams are administered through ACT WorkKeys by Truckee Meadows Community College (TMCC). For more information, contact the TMCC Proctor Testing Center at 824-3838 or email email@example.com.
- Must maintain a valid driver’s license
- Our apprenticeship program requires the apprentice to maintain a continuity of learning throughout the period of the apprenticeship. Additionally apprentices must commit to completing the approved course of related supplemental training and on-the-job training in a manner which will enable the apprentice to obtain a degree of knowledge and skill sufficient to qualify at a journey level in the allotted and specified time. Apprentices are evaluated on and expected to maintain acceptable level of performance in the areas of: cooperation and teamwork, problem solving, responsibility, initative, safety, quality of work, and quantity of work.
TMWA is an equal employment opportunity employer who develops and maintains a work environment that values the dignity of each individual, utilizes human resources to their fullest potential and ensures a high quality workforce which reflects the diversity of the community.
All decisions affecting any terms and conditions of employment, including recruitment, hiring, assignment, training, compensation, promotion, salary, disciplinary action and an employee's caregiving responsibilities, will be made without regard to race, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, religion, age, disability, political affiliation, marital status, membership in an employee association, or any other protected status or category.